November 19 2019

Using Feedback to Improve Performance

Give an example of one piece of feedback you received in technique sessions and how you responded to this in order to improve your performance.

19th November 2019

One of my most interesting discoveries whilst engaging in this module, is learning how my legs move when engaging in a plie. In this class, we were looking at the physical specifics of the plie. We broke apart the technique with regards to alignment: track the knees over the toes, engage the glutes, and look at the rotation in the leg. Following my tutor’s observation of my plie, she gave me feedback that I appear to be right side dominant. I was engaging the right leg quicker, causing a slight delay in the left leg. Over time, this could be problematic and cause strain in my left leg. Plies (plier meaning to bend or fold) are the foundation of most movements in classical dance. (Bussell, 2000) Therefore, it is important that I practice the technique and perform it accurately. As a result of this feedback, I was able to consciously engage my left leg earlier and work on balancing out both sides to avoid a continued right-side dominance. I observed myself in the mirror whilst doing a plie, so I could visually understand what my legs were doing. My plie has now improved, and I continue to consciously keep this feedback in mind, returning to the mirror when needed for a visual check.

Posted November 19, 2019 by 20081291 in category Uncategorized