UK Snooker Championships 2018 – What Did You Miss?

In case you missed it, we look back at how the big names got on in the 1st round of this year’s UK Snooker Championships.

Mark Selby 3-6 James Cahill 

The world number one was beaten by amateur James Cahill to set up one of the biggest shocks in recent snooker championship history. 

The two-time former champion struggled throughout against the 22-year 126th seed, who dropped off the main tour at the end of the 2016-17 season.

Cahill led 4-0 and 5-1 and closed out the win by potting a superb long pink in frame nine.

“I am good enough to compete with the best but I need to be more consistent.” The amateur said.

Adam Duffy 2-6 Mark Williams

Reigning world champion Mark Williams had little trouble in seeing off his amateur opponent, Adam Duffy. 

The 43-year-old Welshman, the winner of 22 ranking titles, scored four half-centuries in a convincing 6-2 victory. It is well known to the media that Williams has not made much effort in practicing since his world title win, but the champion showed no sign of dropping off the pace.

However he told the media. “If I could win this tournament three times it would be fantastic. This will probably be my last tournament before Christmas so I want to try to have a good run and see what happens”.

Ronnie O’Sullivan 6-2 Luke Simmonds 

Defending champion Ronnie O’Sullivan advanced into the second round of the UK Championship with a 6-1 win over the 128th seed Luke Simmonds.

But O’Sullivan, who is chasing a record seventh UK title, saw off three frames, finishing with a break of 97 to lead 3-1 at the interval.

Back-to-back tons made it 5-1 and he closed out victory with a 77 break.”I am not feeling well – I must be coming down with some sort of virus,” said five-time world champion O’Sullivan. “At one point I was not even sure I would be able to get through – I feel absolutely awful. He said after his win.

Jamie Clarke 0-6 Barry Hawkins 

Hawkins shows no mercy against 127th seed Jamie Clarke. 

The Englishman proved why he is world number 6 with a complete whitewash over the Welshman.

Shaun Murphy 3-6 Chen Feilong

Shaun Murphy knocked out by world number 124 Chen Feilong.

Murphy, the 2008 winner, led Chen Feilong 3-1, but the Chinese player won five frames in a row to progress.

“He potted some outrageous shots and I could do absolutely nothing about it. After the interval he was a different player; he played like a champion. Murphy said about the first year professional.

Joe O’Connor 6-2 Ryan Day

The world number 12 lost out to first year professional O’Connor in out of character fashion. 

Day, 38, struggled throughout a scrappy match which only produced three breaks of more than 50.

The newcomer was overwhelmed with his third match in the tournament. “I am overwhelmed,” he said. “I played well and it is definitely the biggest win of my career and I won’t be forgetting it anytime soon.”

You can watch the 2nd round of the UK Snooker Championships 2018 from Monday 3rd December on BBC TWO.