‘I will never take things for granted again’ – Life in Lockdown with Tom Hopcroft

Actor Tom Hopcroft trained at Arts Ed, and has performed in a number of shows including A Little Princess and Top Hat. He was most recently seen in Mischief Theatre’s The Comedy About A Bank Robbery. I talked to Tom about how he is adjusting to a life in lockdown and his hopes for the future of the arts industry

First of all, how are you feeling about the whole situation?

Of course, the current situation isn’t great, most people are having worries and struggles, whether that is about physical health, mental health or financial concerns. We all know that these measures are for the best and seeing people breaking the rules online frustrates me greatly! I guess that I am trying to enjoy the silver linings of the situation – letting my body recoup after two years of working on a physical comedy, and having time to do things that I wouldn’t usually, like cooking. This has been the most time I have had to spend with my girlfriend and my family in years, which I am very grateful for.

How have you been keeping yourself occupied during the lockdown? 

Having worked on Bank Robbery for almost two years, it was always my plan to allow my body to rest properly after finishing, so I have tried to do this as much as possible really. I have binged most of the content of Neflix and iPlayer and now I feel ready to press GO again. I’ve been doing little bits of work here and there – I did a week of online Acting Through Song classes and have a few commissioned recordings of songs and a few self tapes, but in general I have enjoyed taking the foot off the gas a little and my body has been very thankful for that. Making the most of the sunny weather by spending time with my family in the garden has been particularly relaxing and something I would not have had the chance to do had they all been working.

What are you most looking forward to doing once lockdown is over? 

Oh God, everything! I will never take things for granted again. Seeing friends, going to the theatre, going to auditions, performing, going for drinks, for food – I think that everyone will go crazy once this is all over haha!

Is there anything we, as theatre fans, can do to help the arts industry in these trying times? 

Unfortunately, there is not a lot any of us can do really. Of course, taking part in Instagram live/zoom classes, or buying tickets for any virtual concerts etc are of help, but to be honest, it’s more important how we respond as a community once this is all over – VISIT AS MUCH THEATER AS YOU CAN! After staring at screens for months, the experience of live performance will feel better than ever. Unfortunately, there is no doubt that once this is all over it will be tricky for a lot of theatres/companies across the country to get started again so, I would simply urge theatre fans to indulge in as much as you can possibly can once theatres and venues are open again. After the inevitable losses producers will have experienced they will be less inclined to invest in ‘non-commercial’ work, so all we can do is show that the demand is still there for all theatre and all art.

What is your favourite thing about the theatre industry as a whole?

The theatre industry is one huge community and to be part of a world that is so incredibly supportive, even in the trickiest times, is an honour.

With the theatres closed and so much being moved online, do you think we are seeing a big change in how the industry works? 

I don’t see why not. I think that a lot of the move online has been because it is literally the only way we can do things at the moment. Although, the industry is flexible and ever changing and if there is a new successful way of getting art to the masses, it should definitely be explored. It would be a great platform to be used more in education, for example.

How have you been managing day to day life in quarantine? Do you have a routine, or do you just go with the flow? 

Of course, it is tricky. I miss the freedom, I miss working, I miss normality, but so does everyone and I am very lucky to be healthy and with my family so I have trying to keep that as the overriding feeling! To be honest, I have been going with the flow in terms of routine, most of it is out of my control so I have been trying not to be too strict with myself. I have been trying to get out of bed at a decent time, exercise, eat and drink healthily – my girlfriend and I have started making lists of things to do to try and give ourselves a bit more structure and small recognition of achievement day to day. Some days we add to the list, some days we don’t even get half way and we can’t blame ourselves for not feeling motivated but should be pleased that we have managed to achieve some proactivity.

Do you have any advice for people who are perhaps finding lockdown hard to manage? 

I would say chat to as many friends and family as possible, whether that is via Zoom or FaceTime and be as open as possible as to how you are feeling – you will probably realise that a lot of other people are feeling the same. There is plenty to do keep busy, we are blessed with the internet and social media, join an online class, learn a new skill. The world is your oyster and there’s no reason that your life has to go on hold during the crisis, it will just have changed somewhat. Equally, don’t put any pressure on yourself, we weren’t prepared for this! 

Do you think that it is important to talk about mental health in these challenging times? 

I think that it is always important to talk about it, but of course under the circumstances, strained mental health could be greatly intensified. I would just say similar to the question above – chat to people, and don’t be afraid to ask for help. The Samaritans Hotline is still open 24/7, and 111 are always there to chat

I would like to thank Tom for his time and his great answers to this interview, and wish him the very best for the future. Stay safe x