This Girl Can is a campaign from Sport England celebrating women who are active, in any way they choose. Launched in 2015, it has successfully persuaded nearly three million women to become more active. Their research has shown that many women are put off taking part in physical activity due to a fear of judgement – whether that be the way they look during exercise, not feeling good enough to join in, or feeling they should be spending more time on other priorities such as studying.
This is the first year that Plymouth Marjon University has taken part in this week, and with an array of different activities we are sure to offer something for everyone. For every session you participate in, your name gets put into a draw with some fantastic prizes to be won!
Here are the sessions – this is the perfect opportunity to give a new sport a go!
- Weightlifting – 11:00 – 13:00 on Monday 19 November in the Strength & Conditioning Suite.
- Basketball – 20:00 – 21:00 on Monday 19 November in Sports Hall 2.
- O2 Touch Rugby – 15:00 – 17:00 on Tuesday 20 November on the 3G pitch.
- Indoor Rowing -15:00 – 17:00 on Wednesday 21 November in Sports Hall 3
- Short Tennis -12:00 – 14:00 on Friday 23 November in Sports Hall 2.
- Futsal 17:00 – 19:00 on Sunday 25 November in Sports Hall 3.
These activities are enabled by British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS). Each academic year they have a focused week of action, engaging universities across the country. This week is all about empowering and encouraging women to be active in sport and physical activity during their time at university. Whether it be staff or students, the ultimate objective is to demonstrate the importance of being active and having fun whilst doing so. It doesn’t matter what level you are and if you have never played sport before, this is your chance to try! Just turn up, you don’t need to book.