3-12-19 Tennis (2 hours)

DAILY RECORD OF VISIT TO THE PLACEMENT

Date: 03-12-19
Group or individual with whom I worked: Marjon Tennis Society

BEFORE my placement …

What am I aiming to achieve from my placement today? What do I need to be mindful of? What issues/questions need to be addressed to ensure I achieve my aim? Do I need to be aware of particular theories, or have particular skills? Have I thought about all of the ‘what ifs’?

From my placement today I am aiming to reassess the player with a hip impingement. I need to be mindful of the tests I have already tested for but potentially reassess some of the tests I have already done.

DURING my placement …

What did I notice happening around me today? What was I thinking and feeling? How was I involved? Did I do anything to intervene and change the situation that I found myself in e.g. how I conveyed a point or whether I decided not to do something I had planned to do? Did my reflections at the time change the session I had planned or my actions?

Everyone was in good spirits in the session and once again everyone was very welcoming, the team I feel have now fully accepted me due to how there was no big deal made of my attendance I was able to have a conversation with a few of the players regarding injury/previous injury and recommended some exercises that could help to prevent further injury.

AFTER my placement … (based on the Gibbs (1988) Reflective Cycle)

Describe the activities you undertook whilst on placement today. Set the context, what you did and what happened.

The main activity that I undertook on placement today was the reassessment of the player with the hip pathology. The special tests I performed were Thomas test- rec fem, Glute med drop- glute med, FABER- hip impingement, FADIR- hip impingement, Hip Quadrant- circular motion for impingement, Elys test -rec fem, Glute kicking- muscle firing, Psis push in, Sij push, Slump test and the Straight leg raise. The results of these tests were again inconclusive, the clients pain was recreated in the top right portion of the hip quadrant test and the PSIS squeeze which leads me to believe that the problem is either an impingement or a problem with the SIJ.

Document how you felt through-out your placement today. Were you anxious, confident, pleased or disappointed?

I was confident with how the placement went and am pleased with the progress I made on the hip pathology even though I wasn’t able to advise too much on the treatment other than the RICE protocol but this is now something that I can work on for the next time I see the player.

Evaluate today’s placement activity. What went well, what went badly, what would you have done differently?

I think that the placement went very well, the only thing that I would change would be the introduction of a cooldown after the sessions as the players go from playing game related scenarios to nothing and this can impede their recovery, especially since they train the night before their games and want to avoid soreness.

Action plan. How will you apply what you have learnt from today’s activities to the rest of your placement and your future professional and personal development? Do you need to undertake further research or reading? Are there courses that you need to undertake to fill a skills gap?

One thing that I am going to investigate is a warmup/cooldown routine for the team just to help them prepare better for the next days game. A cooldown may help them to feel fresher when waking up on game days.