14-01-2020 Tennis (2 hours)

DAILY RECORD OF VISIT TO THE PLACEMENT

Date: 14-01-2020
Group or individual with whom I worked: Marjon Tennis Society

BEFORE my placement …

What am I aiming to achieve from my placement today? What do I need to be mindful of? What issues/questions need to be addressed to ensure I achieve my aim? Do I need to be aware of particular theories, or have particular skills? Have I thought about all of the ‘what ifs’?

Before my placement today I looked at ways that you can treat tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) as one of the players presented with the condition in the previous weeks session. I found that isometric work focusing on the wrist movements was a good method to relieve the painful sensations.

https://www.ahealthblog.com/how-to-get-rid-of-tennis-elbow.html

DURING my placement …

What did I notice happening around me today? What was I thinking and feeling? How was I involved? Did I do anything to intervene and change the situation that I found myself in e.g. how I conveyed a point or whether I decided not to do something I had planned to do? Did my reflections at the time change the session I had planned or my actions?

I was feeling okay about the placement but the work with the client with tennis elbow was difficult. I had planned to use resistance bands on the tennis racket in order to promote an isometric contraction along the wrist extensors in order to work on the affected area but there was nowhere to attach the resistance band that was at an adequate height so instead I had to hold the other end which meant my focus was shifted from ensuring quality movement and now onto the stability of the resistance band.

AFTER my placement … (based on the Gibbs (1988) Reflective Cycle)

Describe the activities you undertook whilst on placement today. Set the context, what you did and what happened.

Today at placement I worked with a player with tennis elbow, I took them through some stretches/ exercises that they can do at home as well as doing some isometric holding with them in the session to work on the affected wrist extensors.

Document how you felt through-out your placement today. Were you anxious, confident, pleased or disappointed?

I felt okay about placement today but I find it stressful when you’re working with a player and the coach is repeatedly coming over and checking to see if the player can take part in drills or not, I feel like it puts unnecessary pressure on a player to say that they are fine when they may in fact be struggling with injury.