Education and Training Opportunities

In order to progress in the field of Sports Therapy, it is important to have a variety of skills and qualifications to be able to provide your patients with the best treatment. I have identified 3 potential opportunities I could look into to make me a better therapist, and more employable;

First Aid Qualification – Having an up to date first-aid qualification is important for a therapist as it allows them to provide basic treatment to their patients when it is needed. It will also provide them with the knowledge of how to treat a wider range of issues rather than just musculoskeletal issues, and may help them identify contraindications. Before going in to my second year placement, it is important I get this qualification so that I have as much knowledge as possible, and I am able to provide basic first aid in the event that is needed.

Level 3 Personal Trainer – As well as the initial treatment, an important part of the rehab process for injured athletes is the aftercare advice they are provided by their therapists. We often give our patients exercises to perform in order to strengthen their weak/injured muscles, and by gaining a Personal Trainer qualification I will gain to knowledge surrounding the correct form for these exercises which I can then pass onto my patients. furthermore, this qualification would provide me with more job opportunities and would be sought after by potential employers.

Business Management – For many aspiring sports therapists, the ultimate goal is to run their own clinic/practice. However, this entails much more than most people expect. Having previously studied business, I know how much goes into running a business. Therefore, I believe it would be beneficial to take a business management course of some sort, which can provide me with the tools and knowledge of how to potentially start and run my own business in the future.