MATCH REPORT: Torquay United 4 – 2 Truro City

Torquay United 4
Lemonheigh-Evans (26’), Kalala (31’), Hall (34’),  Janneh (49’)

Truro City 2
Harvey (16’) & Lewington (84’)

Goals from Connor Lemonheigh-Evans, Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala, Asa Hall and Saikou Janneh secured a 4-2 victory over Truro City in front of a magnificent 3863 crowd at Plainmoor.

United made one change from the side that beat Hampton and Richmond 3-0 at the weekend, with defender Kyle Cameron replacing Jamie Sendles-White.

After a bright opening spell from the visitors, it was Truro that struck first. They made it 1-0 in the 16th minute thanks to a sweetly struck volley from striker Tyler Harvey after Niall Thompson had done well to keep the ball from going out of play.

After a number of neat exchanges in midfield, United worked their way back into the game and took control of the game. In the 26th minute, after a number of passes on the right the ball found its way to Lumbumbo-Kalala who managed to strike against the bar, but the rebound eventually found its way to Connor Lemonheigh-Evans who’s curling right footed strike made it 1-1. The precsion was outstanding.  It was the first some tremendous goals from United.

United were then able to take the lead in the 31st minute after Kalala and Janneh combined perfectly with one another. Janneh’s ball found Kalala in space outside the box and he struck a sweet shot leaving the Truro ‘keeper with little chance of keeping it out. It was another goal to savour.

United made it three quickly after, when in the 34th minute midfielder Asa Hall found himself with space in midfield and let loose a tremendous 25-yard effort to make it 3-1. The bumper Boxing Day crowd were certainly getting their money’s worth!

Soon after the beginning of the second half, Janneh made it 4-1 to United in the 49th minute after his solo run beating a succession of City defenders. His low drive found its way past Rivers.

Truro nearly claimed one back in the 69th minute after a free kick from outside the box was headed on by Harvey but managed to fly past the post. It remained 4-1 to United. United could have scored more in the second half with Jamie Reid unlucky not to add to his tally this season.

United could have got their fifth of the afternoon from a free kick soon after in the 70th minute if it wasn’t for Rivers in the Truro goal. Niate and Cameron both attempted to poke the ball home, but Truro managed to clear.

Truro did secure a late consolation in the 84th minute however, after Lewington was allowed to run free of the United defence. His strike found its way past MacDonald who was extremely unlucky not to save it. It was 4-2 going into the last five minutes of the game.

United managed to hang on and they remain top of the table going into Saturday’s home match against Gloucester City at Plainmoor.

TUFC: 1 Shaun MacDonald (GK), 2 Ben Wynter, 3 Liam Davis, 8 Asa Hall, 10 Saikou Janneh © (12 Olaf Koszela 75’), 11 Connor Lemonheigh-Evans, 15 Jean-Yves Koue Niate, 17 Kyle Cameron, 18 Jake Andrews (6 Jamie Sendles-White 75’), 19 Jamie Reid, 20 Kalvin Lumbumbo-Kalala. SUBS NOT USED: 4 George Essuman, 13 George Burton (GK), 14 Samir Nabi.


Truro: 1 Harvey Rivers (GK), 2 Niall Thompson, 3 Connor Riley-Lowe, 5 Nick Grimes, 6 Jamie Richards © (17 Nick Hurst 72’), 8 Noah Keats (18 Lewis Leigh-Gilchrist 59’) 9 Tyler Harvey, 11 River Allen, 15 Dan Rooney (7 Ben Harding 58’), 16 Tom Richards, 19 Jared Lewington. SUBS NOT USED: 12 Jordan Bentley, 20 Austen Booth.

Bookings: Thompson (52’), Richards (66’) & Harding (86’)

Referee: Scott Jackson

Attendance: 3863 (83 away)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *