Pilgrim Benchmark

AHEAD of Argyle’s trip to Forest Green Rovers in Sky Bet League Two on Saturday, midfield playmaker Danny Mayor has explained how they have ‘set the benchmark’ for defending after last weekend’s 1-0 victory against Bolton in the FA Cup.

“We have come off of a good result last week and we just want to continue it,” said Danny.

“We had to bounce back after the Exeter City defeat, after how disappointing it was. We have had a couple of weeks to reflect on it and train hard. I thought we thoroughly deserved the win at Bolton.

“We weren’t necessarily on the ball. First ten minutes, they were on top, but we got back into it. I thought we played well and defended well. I think that is the benchmark for how we want to defend in games and will help us keep clean sheets. I think going forward, however, we can definitely improve.”

Argyle’s no.10 central midfielder was also keen to highlight how boss Ryan Lowe’s influence, when it comes to defending and seeing a game out, has been key to the side’s overall improvement.

“We worked on that [seeing the game out]. The gaffer has showed us a couple of videos, brought us in for a couple of meetings and also worked on it out on the training ground, cutting out silly mistakes,” he said.

“We want to play football, but in the last couple of minutes, if we need to take it into the corners, then that is what we will do. At the end of the day, everyone wants to win football matches and, if that is the way we need to do it, then we will.”

Danny was also sure to emphasise just how difficult a test Forest Green could pose to the Pilgrims on Saturday, having visited the New Lawn before whilst playing for Bury last season.

“If I’m honest, I don’t really know a lot about them this season, but I do know they are doing well,” he said. “They were a good team last year and I thought, as well as us [Bury], were one of the best teams in the league. They have been doing really well, carrying on their good form from last season.

“The last time I went there [the New Lawn] with Bury we got battered, but we did win 2-1. I would take that if they [Forest Green Rovers] give us a good game on Saturday.”

ORIGINAL ARTICLE: https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2019/november/pilgrim-benchmark/

Image courtesy of Plymouth Argyle FC