‘Just focus on weathering the storm’ : Life in Lockdown with Simon Gordon

Actor Simon Gordon has a number to stage credits to his name including performing in The Girl From The North Country at the Gielgud Theatre, covering the role of Strat in Bat Out Of Hell at The Dominion Theatre and performing as Christian in Moulin Rouge for Secret Cinema. I was fortunate enough to get to talk to Simon about how he has been handling life in lockdown and his hopes for the theatre industry looking forwards.

First of all, how are you feeling about the whole virus and lockdown situation? 

It’s awful. However, it is reminding people what’s really important to them.

How have you been keeping yourself occupied during the lockdown? 

Spending time with the family. They live by the seaside in Scotland, so it’s been nice taking walks along the beach & enjoying some fresh air. 

What are you most looking forward to doing once lockdown is over?

I’ll be playing an awesome role in a really exciting musical that I can’t wait to get started on – really looking forward to it!

Is there anything we, as theatre fans, can do to help the arts industry in these trying times? 

I think the best thing we can do for the arts right now is simply, be sensible. Realistically, theatres won’t be able to operate until the virus is under control. So the sooner we halt the spread, the sooner we can be back in theatres!

What is your favourite thing about the theatre industry as a whole?

My favourite thing about this industry is the risk involved. The most forward thinking projects usually bring the highest risk, not just financially, but also socially – this industry often leads the way when it comes to progressive thinking.

With the theatres closed and so much being moved online, do you think that we are seeing a big change in how the industry works?

For the moment, we are trying to find the best alternative, but you can’t replicate the feeling of sitting in a theatre.

How have you been managing day to day life in quarantine? Do you have a routine, or do you just go with the flow? 

I am very much a live in the moment kind of guy. One day I might wake up & decide I fancy a 10k and the next I might just binge a Netflix series.

Do you have any advice for people who are perhaps finding lockdown and the gradual easing of lockdown hard to manage? 

I think it’s important to focus on what really matters. Take a step back and have some perspective. Just focus on weathering the storm. Stop worrying about eating too much, or not being ‘productive’ enough. Just do whatever you have to do to get through this with your health in tact. And don’t believe what you see on social media – we aren’t as happy as we look on there, everyone has down days. Keep your chin up, dig out some determination and get through this. And once you’ve taken care of yourself, help the people around you. In the grand scheme of things, that’s what matters.

Do you think that it is important to talk about mental health in these challenging times? 

Absolutely. Talking has been proven to help. Like antibiotics fights infection, talking helps your mental health. Finding out about others’ experiences also helps. You are not the only one who feels these things, and remember – nothing is unfixable. No matter what is going on, talk to someone. I’m always open to talking with anyone, friend or stranger!

I would like to thank Simon for his time and his answers to this interview, as well as wish him the very best for the future. Stay safe x