Fa Cup Giant killers

Newcastle United have been knocked out by League 1 opposition, Cambridge United. It was a fairly entertaining game for the Cambridge fans but from the Newcastle fans’ perspective, it was a disappointing display.


The goal came early in the second half with a goal from Joe Ironside who capitalized on a mistake made by the Newcastle goalkeeper, Martin Dubravka. After the ball had bounced around the players, Ironside spun and turned, finishing the ball in the back of the net. The Newcastle manager, Eddie Howe, described the game as ‘devastating for the fans’. This defeat to Cambridge has also resulted in Newcastle striker, Callum Wilson, being out for a further 8 weeks after picking up a knock earlier this week. Cambridge United player Paul Digby described the moment as ‘unbelievable’ as this wasn’t in the script for Cambridge United to beat the magpies. This is a moment for all the Amber army to be proud of their players and bring on Luton Town in the  fourth round on the 5th february at 15:00.




This wasn’t the only shock in the FA Cup this week though Vanarama North side Kidderminster Harriers beat championship side Reading in a 2-1 win. The first goal went to the championship side The royals with a first time volley scored by Romanian international George Puscas. The next goal was scored by Sam Austins whose shot just managed to go underneath the Reading  keeper. In the 82nd minute a moment that will stay in kidderminster history forever. The ball was whipped in from a corner and it connected with Amari Morgan-Smith’s head only just going over the line. The Reading manager Veljko Paunovic stated ‘the real priority is the championship’  Reading currently sitting in 21st in the league there from going into this game was particularly the best with only 1 win in 5 games. The Reds first team coach said ‘the desire’ that this team showed was spectacular, overcoming a team 4 leagues above them. The Kidderminster Harriers will take on premier league side West Ham at home on the 5th february at 15:00. 


AFC Wimbledon were knocked out by national league side Boreham wood losing 2-0. It didn’t take Boreham that long to score with a placed shot from Tyrone marsh after 10 minutes of play. The game went from bad to worse for league one side Wimbledon conceding a second goal in the 86th minute with a volley from Adrian Clifton which confirmed the national league side in the fourth round. The Wimbledon website described the loss as a ‘bitter pill to swallow’ as on paper the league one side are meant to be a lot stronger than the wood army but they were just part of another fa cup shock. Garrad the Boreham manager was filled with joy and delight ‘We’ve won 2-0 against a side that are two leagues above us and we’ve got to enjoy that’. The excitement that the Boreham Wood club will be feeling for advancing to the fourth round for the first time in the club’s history. The prize money of £82,000 also helps the club after difficult times through the pandemic. Boreham wood will travel to the vitality stadium to face Bournemouth on the 5th february at 15:00.


These are just some of the crazy things that happened in the fa cup third round. Maybe these teams could shock the world again and make the fifth round of the tournament for  the first time in their histories. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *