Removal of legendary Queen song sparks row

Queen’s legendary song “Fat Bottomed Girls”, written by guitarist Brian May, has been snubbed from their “Greatest Hits” album leaving some fans enraged on the music platform Yoto which is primarily aimed at children. The song was removed on the grounds that it may be harmful for children to listen to given the subject matter and lyrics of the song. However, the song is still included on various other music listening platforms such as Spotify. 

Those in favour of the songs removal say it is because that the songs lyrics are insensitive towards plus sized women or that the song is about the sexual assault of children with the verse’s lyrics “Hey, I was just a skinny lad, Never knew no good from bad, But I knew life before I left my nursery (huh), Left alone with big fat Fanny, She was such a naughty nanny, Heap big woman, you made a bad boy out of me”.

On the other hand some believe that the removal of the song is another example of cancel culture and wokism. Saying that it is not necessary to remove the song as you can choose not to listen to it. Some have also stated that those in favour of the songs removal are “too easily offended”.