Searching for a Placement

Unfortunately, my first blog post doesn’t involve a secure placement provider, however, I wanted to give an update on how the whole process is going. I first began researching possible contacts for my placement in January 2019 and while doing so I wanted to take into consideration all my previous work experience and try something different. While doing my GCSE’s I had the opportunity to work at Landscore Primary School, Crediton which was a great experience, however, it made me realise I was more interested in working with adolescents and young adults. I also had to complete a work placement in sixth form while doing my A-Levels where I got to volunteer for a week at the Crediton Children’s Centre which is organised by the Action for Children Charity. This really changed my opinion with working with young children as I really enjoyed this experience. The charity focuses on children under 2 years old and monitors certain children’s development in the community if they have experienced events such as trauma or bereavement or have a medical condition. It opened my eyes to the many different opportunities and job roles there are in helping children. This made me re-think my decision about not wanting to work with young children for this work placement. It has also proven very difficult to acquire a work placement in any of the secondary schools in my local area. I e-mailed schools in the Okehampton area, the Exeter area and even my own old school and sixth form and unfortunately none of them had either the time or resources to take me on. After 2 months of unsuccessful e-mails and letters, I finally have a promising response from Action for Children in Exeter. This would be a great opportunity to see what the charity does within a larger community and gain more experience with working with children. I hope to hear back from them soon, however, the deadline for this assignment is coming up fast so I have had to look at other options. Another person on the course has mentioned to me about a peer support group being organised within the Psychology Department at Marjon. This would entail training about peer support, independent learning about peer support and peer support sessions for myself with a 3rd year while attending sessions to help a 1st year. This experiences sounds very interesting to me as it would give me an opportunity to work with young adults rather than children which I would like to gain more experience with and also build up my communication skills and social skills with other people studying Psychology. I have obtained a DBS check and certificate through the university so I am ready to go as soon as I get a response. Also, I have filled out the paperwork for this placement as much as I can but until I have a confirmed placement provider I cannot upload them onto Edublogs. I hope to have something secured soon as I am really excited to get started.