Parkrun: 5k Fitness

When I first began running in the latter part of 2017, I never really expected to be enjoying it quite as much as I have done recently. After dozens of different runs, several Saltram 10k’s and a Plymouth Half-Marathon (in which I managed to raise over £500 for charity), on Saturday 26th May I managed to make it to my first Parkrun.

I’m no stranger to the concept. A free and timed 5k run that happens up and down the country (and across the worldd) on a huge variety of different routes. At just 5 minutes away, Plym Valley Parkrun is my local event. Having enjoyed the Half-Marathon so much I thought it would be a good way of keeping myself involved in running – giving myself something to aim for or to challenge myself each week on.

On a personal level, I’m rather pleased with how it went. I finished 8th overall out of a field of 293 and hit a new 5k PB of 20:56 which was nice. My aim was to go a bit quicker but as a first go at the course, I can’t really have any complaints about how it went. It is a slightly odd course at Plym Valley, and one that you need to practice a bit to get comfortable with. At around 1km in there is an exceptionally steep hill – the only climbing in the entire run – that is a struggle to get over. This is not overly stressful to begin with as you are fresh at the time, but the route comes around the same loop twice and the second time up the hill seems to really take it out of you. It was a shame I wasn’t a tad more prepared for this, as the final mile is wonderfully flat and straight and fantastic for pushing on if you have anything left in the tank. I didn’t!

Of course, getting to watch me battle with hills is not the major plus to parkruns. I like the idea that you come back to beat your time, and that people use it as a weekly run either to enjoy it or to challenge themselves. Ultimately, nearly 300 people out at 9am on a Saturday morning to go for a run is fantastic really, regardless of the motives. The more people who go out and run, and go out and exercise the better. Running can be infectious and social events like these certainly help with that for sure.

The sheer variety in the people out running was brilliant, as there is no requirement on age, gender or fitness levels. We have a national crisis in the UK regarding inactivity and obesity and parkrun is brilliant for encouraging new runners of all abilities to come out and give running a go, especially with the social element and a really positive atmosphere that goes alongside it. It is certainly a great way for families (and there were lots of them about) to spend a Saturday morning. Personally, I can’t wait to get stuck into more and try and beat my PB – I’m transfixed already!

For my Strava of the run.

For more on the Plymvalley parkrun.