22.01.2020 – examination and management of Rectus Femoris strain

Date: 22.01.2020

Duration: 0900-1000

Venue: Marjon Sports Therapy Clinic

Reflective Summary:

My client approached me during a Futsal training session on 17 January 2020 about pain she was experiencing in the Rectus Femorus muscle on her left leg.

She had a previous history of a torn Rec Fem muscle.  The subjective and objective assessment confirmed that the issue was a weakness in the Rec Fem muscle due to a lack of strengthening work during previous to a physio.

I felt reasonably confident during the assessment and in my diagnosis.  Because the client mentioned that she also experienced pain over the base of the knee and round the medial and lateral sides of the knee, I checked for patellofemoral pain syndrome, ITB and tight iliopsoas.  All tests were negative.  I added an additional stretch of the Rec Fem of the left leg with knee flexion during the Thomas test which induced pain.  This confirmed my original clinical impression from the active tests with over pressure.  I devised a programme of strengthening exercises.  I also applied K-tape to the left Rectus Femorus muscle to reduce pain symptoms and to provide additional support to the muscle.

Areas for further improvement plus action plan