Reflection of my time at Placement

Using the Gibbs reflective cycle (1988) I was able to reflect on my time at placement using the headings provided.

During my time at placement, I really enjoyed myself in both schools. TBOWA is the kind of school, in the future, I want to work in. Placement allowed me to see what it’s like in a primary and a secondary school and I was able to see the pros and cons of both. The schools I worked in were both very friendly towards me and allowed me to fully gain experience in that workplace.

During my time at TBOWA, I felt nervous, to begin with, and quickly become more confident as the days went by. The teachers at TBOWA game me lots of support and motivation. The time I have at TBOWA was really eye-opening and made me feel a lot more confident that a secondary school is where I want to be teaching. Shakespeare Primary gave me lots to think about, the atmosphere in a primary is much more “laid back” and stress-free, I felt in control at all times and felt like the students looked up to me and respected me more. All in all, both experience allowed me to conclude I want to work in secondary, because of the enthusiasm and passion towards sports that some students show, and who I can coach to become better.

What was good during my time at placement was my variation of secondary and primary, this games me a lot to think about. Before I started placement my heart was set on secondary only. However, my time at Shakespeare allowed me to consider that pathway. I could still see myself teaching in a primary school. But I believe my passion is with PE and teaching PE. Therefore, I will be better suited for a secondary school. What was bad about my placement was I did not have a lot of time in both secondary and primary. I would have preferred double the amount of time I had at the schools. This is my own fault, leaving it too late.

In conclusion, I could have planned my placement a lot more effectively and got more hours in during the designated time. Getting to know the job role a lot better, and maybe spent more time in secondary schools after I realised that primary was not for me. If I was to redo this I would get started as soon as I could and not wait for 2 mounts in to find a school. I would do more hours and find out what I can do to fully get involved with PE e.g. sports days, after football club etc. I would also like a chance to teach more in a primary school setting, the only opportunity I had to teach was PE, which is the norm for me, I would of like to be out my comfort zone and teach a Maths or English lesson, I believe this would make me a better and more rounded teacher.

References

Gibbs, G. (1988). Learning by Doing: A Guide to Teaching and Learning Methods. Oxford: Oxford Further Education Unit