Gundog

Our formative assessment consisted of a rehearsed reading of the play Gundog by Simon Longman. As a class we looked at plays that would be suitable for all of us and we all agreed that Gundog was the best suited for us as a group. The play itself is about 2 sisters who are trying to run the family farm and keep the whole group together after the death of their mother. Gundog is split into 5 parts with each part consisting of 3 or more of the characters in the play, which made sense for the amount in our group. The whole point of the rehearsed reading as I understood it, was that we had hardly any preparation so I tried not to look at the script too much before the actual reading.

Overall, I think the reading went really well for me. I would never say it was my best performance but I think that I gave my all in terms of characterisation with the little I knew. I feel like sight reading is one of my strong points so this did not worry me, however I do think that I could have given more in my general performance of the piece. I think that if we were to do another rehearsed reading, I would consider more things like props and the place surrounding my character as I do no think I thought about this much. Also, as much as I did like the play, I personally would never choose to perform this play as I felt it was a bit limiting for types of characters and I was not a massive fan of the story line in general. Saying this, I do think it was a good fit for our class and am proud of us for putting together what we did in such a short space of time.