TBOWA 12/12/2017

The Bishop of Winchester Academy

12/12/2017 –

7:30 am – Get into school and meet with Emma Sandford and Claire Tyrell (head of PE). They introduce me to the PE team and the schedule I will be following in the upcoming days. They talk me through health and safety and the school’s ethos. As well as checking and scanning my DBS and ID.

8:00 am – mentor time! I follow Emma into year 9 mentor time, where they do a quick register and go through PowerPoint presentations of the word of the week and other challenges for the students to do before classes start.

8:30 am – The first class I sat and watched Emma teaching a year 9 BTEC PE lesson, they were doing mainly coursework and other bits and pieces for their units. I help some SEN children who were struggling to complete paperwork on officials. This was a new experience for me as I have never worked with SEN children who struggled with tasks.

9:30 am – When I watch a year 9 GCSE theory lesson, where they were talking about the digestive system and organs used. They also disused foods and the nutrients we get from different types of food.

10:30 – Break!

11:00 am – in this class we had year 11 BTEC class were again I helped SEN children with coursework, that needed to be completed by the end of the hour, this was a test of my patience’s because they seemed to try and do anything but work, and we needed it to be done, so that they could be graded. Eventually, I got them on task and helped them get a pass in a unit of work.

12:00pm – Lunch

1:00 pm – the final lesson of the day was a 2-hour year 8 BTEC class where they focused on the principals of fitness and testing for them. We did many tests such as sit and reach for flexibility and ruler drop for reactions, after the test the student wrote up what they found and how the tests were done.

3:00 pm – home time.

3:00 pm – 5:00 pm – Basketball club I help out with the basketball club, doing basic drill and activities for an hour.