3nd YEAR HOURS

23rd September 2020 – 3 Hours  – CLINIC

This post is a reflection on Mike and Alex’s lecweb on the sports injury clinic and the new procedures that we have to follow due to coronavirus. This was my first lecweb for the academic year and was nervous of how it was going to work and how it was going to work.  However, I really enjoyed it and Mike and Alex were very good and prepared with a power point and a good structure. They were clear which made the introduction less daunting. Once explaining the procedures, we moved onto the cliniko set up and sorting out our timetables and booking sheets. After this session I looked over cliniko I looked over the site to get used to it and feel comfortable with using it prior to the next session. This felt very surreal because this is one of the main things you hear about as first and second year so actually to be doing it is exciting yet scary. It will be a strange clinical experience this year due to having to carry out appointments via a webcam and following a flow chart to see is the patient needs a face to face appointment or can be treated through a screen. I was confident with asking questions on the lecweb however, over the next few days I need to think of what I need to ask or need help with for our next session which is in the clinic face to face. So, I am even more prepared and confident for the first scheduled day.

29rd September 2020 – 4 Hours  – PS

This was my first session back with Marjon Football Club. I was nervous but excited for the first session because there were new players and with new injuries. I really like the team and management as they make me feel comfortable and don’t put any pressure on me. They are very talkative and kind people which makes it a nice environment to be a part of and work in. Once I got there with Lauren who is another 3rd year therapist we introduced ourselves to the new members and explain why we are here and what our roles consist of. Today the team had a game and we were on pitch side for the match. On reflection I wish I led the warmup and explained and emphasized the importance of warming up and the dynamic and static stretching pre and post-game. Moving forward I will complete this in future games. In the first half of the game there was no injuries or incidents. The game flowed well. The opposing side played dirty which made me nervous for injuries as there seemed to be a higher chance of foul play resulting in an injury. Once I realised this, I became more vigilant to play and watch the game thoroughly. At half time one of the players had complains of a tight hamstring. Once asking for red flags and previous medical history Lauren proceeded to massage the hamstring with effleurage and petrissage to relax the muscle. Best, Hunter, Wilcox, & Haq (2008) explain that there are physical benefits of a therapeutic massage on muscles which include relief of tension/tightness/stiffness, a reduction of muscle pain and a decrease in swelling and spasms. This then resulting in an enhance in the athletes, performance. Thus, moving onto the second half no accidents or injuries happened. To end this session, we were asked to wait just in case any of the players had any questions or anything they needed help with. Overall, I fell this session went really well and I’m excited for what is to come.

1st October 2020 – 3 Hours CLINIC

Today was my first session in clinic this year. This session was for us to be aware of the new clinic rules and see the new conditions. They welcomed us with a power point with an overview of the new covid-19 procedures in the clinic and the online triage protocol. The PPE was explained and where to retrieve it and where to get rid of it. They explanation of the order of putting it all on and taking it off in that safest way. I was nervous as there was a lot of change and consideration to take in as it so different in comparison to the last 2 years. This will be a change, but it will be a good way for the subjective assessment however the objective assessment will be more difficult over the video call. I will just have to explain myself better and have to be as clear as I can. The more consultations I do the more confident I will be and the easier it will be to complete. I went through Cliniko to feel more comfortable with using it and directing myself around it.

6TH October 2020 – 5 Hours PS

I was ready for this 2nd game for Marjon football club. We arrived early due to the coach have some questions and needing answers to a previous injury of his. He is currently going through rehab with the NHS and wanted some opinions on the exercises he was given. He also made sure we were okay arriving when the players arrived so that we are there if they need us. Just before the game one of the boys grabbed us aside and had complains of a tight hamstring so then and there, I went through stretches with him to relax the muscles before play. Just before halftime he sat on the floor so then he could be bought off the pitch because he did a specific movement that caused him more pain and an uncomfortable feeling. This made me realise this is more than just tightness of the hamstring. I booked him in for clinic straight away for that week to go through the consultation and the covid screening. As it was swollen, I explained peace and love and to follow this until the swelling goes down or until they see me.

8th October 2020 – 3 hours CLINIC

This is my first clinic session when people can book in with me for an appointment. I am very nervous but excited. I am confident about the subjective assessment but not so confident with the objective. So, over the first two hours I went through all the active movements that I need by client to do. I knew the injury prior due to it being the footballer with the hamstring problem. I also went over the resisted movement to see if there was any of those they could complete prior to the face to face. I also read through pathologies to get a greater understanding prior to the assessment. During the online consultation I was happy, and I felt relaxed. Due to certain circumstances they were unable to complete the objective assessment so in the next booking I will carry this out and work on the next steps. I was gutted that I couldn’t do a full clinical consultation in the session because I was becoming more confident as the consultation went along. Due to feeling more comfortable in this new setting and with the patient. The patient had c/o posterior lateral hamstring pain following a football game. He explained the hamstring ‘went’ and felt a ‘tweak’ during s lunge movement.  The pain has been there for 3/52. However, worsened during the game. Sharp pain when it occurs. No pain day to day. swelling hasn’t fully gone down in 2/7. No locking or giving way at all. The pain radiates into tendon/that area which is a 1/5 on the pain scale. When performing a lunge, it is 2.5/5. After speaking with clinic staff and them helping with the clinical impression. Hamstring Tendinopathy was the first diagnosis and

Dd: Hamstring Strain Grade 1a/1b. Treatment included PEACE & LOVE to maintain acute symptoms.

Exercise Prescription: 3sets 8 – 10 Reps Once a day until seen next week for an appointment. Extender, Heel Bridge, Partial Lunge.

21st October 2020 – 2 hours Extra Reading

When I saw the notes, my clients had left me on cliniko I did prereading and research behind the knee pathologies and wrote up notes and information on the pathologies, so I was aware of specific details when my patient was explaining the pain and the mechanisms. I had the notes in front of me so I could refer back to them during the consultation. They were also good to have because they made me feel more confident during the consultation. I felt like if they had any questions, I would be able to answer and understand.

I then researched about fibromyalgia and sciatica for my next client. This is so I could better a better understanding and she felt confident in me and my knowledge. This would enable me to understand what she is dealing with and when she explains her pain and symptoms, I am familiar with what she is talking to me about. This is also about building a relationship with my client. So, they have trust in you and what you practise. Once I researched, I did the same as before and had my notes in front of me.

22nd October 2020 – 3 hours CLINIC

My first appointment was a 21 y/o female hockey player with c/o knee pain. I completed all the covid triage and she passed which will enable her to come for a face to face if she needs one. I was relaxed going into this consultation and I was happy to complete both subjective and objective this week as I prepared for the objective assessment prior. I also looked over the different pathologies for the knee so I was more aware of what I could be looking at. I went over the range of movement before the consultation, so I knew what I was doing. There was no specific onset to the pain however, in the last 4 days it has progressively worse. The location was on the apex of the patella which radiated medially. The pain is throbbing which is consistent. The objective assessment was interesting because in all movements: flexion, extension, internal rotation and external rotation.  Pain was present in both prone and supine. From this consultation the diagnosis currently is Quadriceps & Patellar Tendinopathy Degenerative and Dd: Pre-patellar Bursitis and Dd: PFJ. I sent over an email with isometric exercises with specific sets and reps. I also recommended activity modification which is to reduce the overall load a week through manipulating day to day activities, including speed and duration. For further help K-tape can be used for future use, make sure there is an adequate warm-up prior to any physical activity. The antigravity machine can be used to help progress into being able to weight bear. So, the initial load can be taken off to the progress into more load. This was a good experience because the prereading really helped and help me revise my knee anatomy and knowledge. However, it could have been a better experience because I wasn’t completely sure on the diagnosis.

My second client is a 26 y/o female. In the cliniko notes there was information that she suffered from fibromyalgia and sciatica – which caused pain in her back. I was very nervous yet interested coming into this consultation. My knowledge on fibromyalgia is minimal so I made sure I did my own research so when she was talking about it or explaining the symptoms I understood. I familiarised myself with the diagnosis and she also had c/o neck and shoulder pain. She explained in the consultation that she has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for 11-12 years. She also has chronic fatigue which is linked to fibromyalgia sufferers. She then elaborated on the Location of the pain, which is LBP, coccyx pain into the hips then radiates laterally into the front of her thighs. She described the pain as aching. I had to determine if the pain what due to the fibromyalgia or the sciatica or another issue. Which was quite complicated, and I wasn’t sure if I was actually able too. This made me worried for future appointments. I cleared both thoracic Po, Full ROM/ No Asymmetry. And the lumbar spine: R>L ROM – In all movements – Flexion, Extension, Side flexion, Combined Extension. There was no passive or resisted ROM due to the online consultation. I am interested in what ROM with o/p would cause pain.  My clinical impression is Lumber Radiculopathy – Disc herniation L3/4 or Lumbar Radiculopathy – Facet Dysfunction L3/4. It could be the already diagnosed fibromyalgia or the sciatica. So, I have given isometric exercises with sets and reps and how many times a week to the client. I have booked her in for a STM upon request. I have suggested specific lifestyle interventions such as a sleep routine, tai chi, yoga/pilates for a stress relief and to keep an eye on her diet and try meal planning to keep the diet balanced and try a plant based diet 2 times weeks.

12th November 2020 – 3 Hours – CLINIC

I had no clients today. However, that didn’t stop me from still putting the work in. To begin with I was gutted that I had no clients as I felt being that was a bit pointless. But I planned what I need to go over and progress with. My clients had to cancel due to covid-19. I went into the with another therapist and went on the anti-gravity treadmill. As this is what I previously had planned for my client. So, I went on the treadmill to familiarise myself with the settings and equipment needed to be able to use it. I was hesitant at first as I hadn’t used it since, first year. I was grateful the other therapist was there to increase my confidence and to shadow me to make sure I was correct. After, spending time in the lab I went upstairs to film rehab exercises for one of my previous clients and for the clinic. I videoed a number of clips of me demonstrating exercises to help athletes that are in the earlier stages on rehab with patellofemoral pain syndrome. I will post some of the videos on here. Overall, today’s session was a lot more beneficial than I thought it would be. It was an overall experience and showed me another side of clinic and that it’s not all about seeing clients and having appointments. I think I could have been more productive maybe spent more time in the lab or gone into the strength and conditioning lab and used the gymaware and go over my understanding of the equipment and link it to my practical which was earlier in the week. If I had another week where I had no clients, I would prepare a to do list to follow to make my time in the clinic for efficient and utilise facilities.

18th November 2020 – 2 hours – CLINIC

When I saw the notes, my clients had left me on cliniko I did prereading and research behind the lower back pathologies and wrote up notes and information on the pathologies, so I was aware of specific details when my patient was explaining the pain and the mechanisms. My first client I had seen before so felt comfortable with her and her injury. However, I was a bit apprehensive due her not being seen in over 2 weeks so was nervous to see her. Her injury is a Lumbar Radiculopathy – Disc Herniation. Then, my second client had seen another therapist that Monday, so I read through those notes and made my own notes to remember the main information and the specific part I want to explain back to him. I then planned both sessions and what I needed to do for each and then some things that I could do. I always pre-plan my sessions so I feel confident when the clients come in. It also makes me feel like I have a target to focus on which results in more of consistent appointments. What I could have done more of is read more journals on disc herniation, but I plan to do this for future appointments.

19th November 2020 – 3 Hours – CLINIC

My first appointment was a 20 y/o female hockey player with a lumbar disc herniation and a possible Cx radiculopathy. I defined the Lx hernination as P1 and the Cx radiculopathy as P2. P2 is also headaches and upper body tightness. I then moved on to observe the athlete and she had slight kyphosis of lumber spine, right shoulder is higher than left, right scapular is higher than left and right scapular wings more then left. This could be due to a muscle imbalance. She described that the headaches have been consistent for 1/52, which could be due to the trapezius’ and upper back being tight. The clinical impression is still lumbar radiculopathy – disc herniation, Dd: Cx radiculopathy and Dd: Lx disc – prolapse. We went through stretches and exercises to work on strengthening the muscles that could have been weakened through the injury due to the muscles not being used. We worked on the gluteal stretch, leg raises, and the injured leg raised with no P and uninjured felt heavy and struggled on the raise which can relate to the Lx disc herniation. This confused me as it was the uninjured leg that she struggled with however after taking to Mike he cleared up that this is normal for a disc herniation because of the fluctuation of the pain and the disc. Also, due to the movements the pain can radiate increase or decrease. This exercise progressed was a quadruped arm/leg raise – arm lift no P and she found it easy to perform. Back extension was the next exercise and we started this on our elbows to make sure this was comfortable, and she was happy with this so developed onto the hands to greater the degree of the stretch. We performed more stretches for her to the work on at home. I felt happy to regress or progress the exercises I gave her. She was happy that I could cater to her needs.  Moving forward she has her own TENS machine at home, so I said she needs to use the TENS 2/7 before I see her. The plan is for the Pt to complete stretches before bed and potentially during the day if they can fit it into their day-to-day lifestyle, to Aim for 6-8 hours of sleep per night try to get a good sleep hygiene so have a routine to help with the consistency thus decreasing stress as the Pt would have had adequate rest. Coping strategies with stress: to make a to do list and pre-plan her days. Make sure daily walks are being done to release stress. Due to lockdown this would also be the Pt’s daily exercise and it would help to get their mind off work. Pt should try and drink 2 litres of water to help prevent headaches as it could be from dehydration. I felt the pt wasn’t open to my suggestions and it’ll be interesting to see how it is next week.

My second client has c/o LBP. He seemed very quiet at first that made me worry he wasn’t going to be able to communicate too. To begin with I observed his posture L shoulder higher than R and the R scapula higher than L. this could show some sort of muscular imbalance. There was no discolouration or no temperature. Then I followed on to clear the hip joint, Flexion – Clear, Extension – Clear, Abduction – Clear, Adduction – Clear, IR – Clear and ER – Clear. No P in any movements just difficulty in some movements due to tight quadriceps and hamstrings. There was no P in the hip or surrounding areas. The LBP was present when moving supine to prone visa vera due to being still for long so back stiffed up.

I then cleared the upper joint – Lumbar Spine: Flexion – No P, Extension – No P, Combined movements: Ext & Side Flexion (dropping the shoulder) – Discomfort which could be due to the new movements. Which results the clinical impression to be Muscular Strain in Lx (QL/ES) Grade 1/2 A. We moved into the gym to perform some LB stretches to see how comfortable he his completing these. After going over a range of stretches we decided on the ones he’s happy to carry out at home. After, we then moved for to a STM of the lower back after the exercises to help release tightness and tension. I was very happy during the gym session because he was listening and communicating back with how he felt and answering in full to help me understand. Next F2F to focus on the pt posture when picking up items and potentially progressing the exercises. Overall, I was very pleased of how the session was carried out and was happy that I was able to cater for him and around his lifestyle.

26th November 2020 – 3 hours – CLINIC

For my first 2 hours I did extra reading for my session for my client at 17:00. I read over slipped disc journals and explored exercises to fit the pt and her lifestyle. I read over which ones were effective and what was suggested. I chose some of these exercises and helped cater these to her. I then proceeded to read on about strengthening exercises for the muscles group that I believe have weakened from the injury. This would enable me to understand and make sure the exercises are effective. This made me feel more comfortable during the session and made me feel more confident when she was asking me questions. I made note that her posture has not changed since and is still very slumped – this is not helping the pain. I took her straight into the gym and went through the stretches and did 4 reps of 20 seconds. She was completing these well. Then went into the gym and went for a Warm-up static bike 5 minutes at level 5 and then put her on the resistance row machine 2 minutes she did one-minute full power where she did 225m and then 1 minute for a steady pace. Then we moved onto leg curls on machine 5kg 5 sets of 10 reps. Butterfly rows 3kg each arm 2 sets of 10 reps. Pt had to stop after the second set as her back was twinging and she was worried that they would get “stuck again” like they had done previously. Lat pull downs 12kg 3 sets of 8 reps focusing on a straight back. Pt was worried about being bed bound tomorrow. Pt kept expressing her worries of mobility tomorrow. This maybe be due to this being her first session in the gym since the onset. After her expressing this we completed cool down stretches. Mike then performed thoracic PA on her she explained Pain throughout the middle potion with less pain being at the top of the thoracic spine. Pt complained of discomfort throughout PA of top half of thoracic. Upper CT junction is stiff but the thoracic are not tight. The plan for this following week is for her to complete 2 sessions of TENS this week.  I gave sent her off with exercises and stretches to perform at home over the next week. These include: scapulations through flexion and abductions: YTI’s arm lifts, farmers walk, squats with body weight and increasing overtime. I will ask what the Pt wants to do and to get her mentally and physically involved. If she wants to do certain exercises in the long run, they will be beneficial for functional movement and strengthening.

3rd December 2020 – 3 hours – CLINIC

For my first 2 hours I did extra reading for my session for my client at 17:00. I read over journals about lower back pain and posture advice for lifting up equipment and explored exercises to fit the pt and her lifestyle. I read over which ones were effective and what was suggested. I chose some of these exercises and helped cater these to her. I then proceeded to read on about strengthening exercises for the muscles group that I believe have weakened from the injury. This would enable me to understand and make sure the exercises are effective. This made me feel more comfortable during the session and made me feel more confident when she was asking me questions. My client at 17:00 was a follow-up appointment and this pt had complains of LBP. To begin with he was very positive about how he was feeling over the last 2 weeks when doing his stretches daily. He said he feels better in himself too. This made me feel so proud of myself as this was really good feedback to have. I asked a few questions to catch up how he was and how he feels about the stretches. After, that we moved on and went into the gym and went over the exercises and progressed these to make them slightly harder. We also added 2 other exercises. To develop the strength, proprioception and core-stability. After, going over the exercises and agreeing with them. We moved onto STM for the LBP after the exercises to further release tightness and tension. Overall, I am extremely pleased with this client’s progress and attitude towards the stretches. I still believe it is a Muscular Strain in Lx (QL/ES) Grade 1/2 A.

22nd FEB 2021 – BUCS Risk Assessment – 2 Hours

This reflection is about the risk assessment myself and my fellow lacrosse therapist has made for there virtual training programme. The risk descriptors included, fall risk, spreading COVID-19, face to face consultations and entering Marjon. However, upon reflection I would make sure to cover these areas:

• Dehydration
  • Physical wellbeing
  • Mental wellbeing
  • General health/covid check
  • Technology Issues
  • Injury Risk and management when no therapists are present.
  • Equipment for home sessions
  • Adverse weather conditions
  • Slips, trips and falls
  • Display screen equipment

However overall, for our first virtual risk assessment for virtual training I was happy with the though process behind each section, but we could have thought outside the box. I am happy that we gave it ago and no for future purposes and references I have that one to work from.

22nd FEB 2021 – BUCS Needs Analysis – 2 Hours

This reflection is about the risk assessment myself and my fellow lacrosse therapist has made for their virtual training programme.

1st MARCH 2021 – BUCS Field testing PowerPoint – 1 Hour

LACROSSE FIELD TESTING – This was the powerpoint myself and another sport therapist presented to the Men’s Lacrosse team that is made up of 29 players. These include 1st, 2nd and 3rd years. We were happy with how we presented this however we wish we got the feedback from the risk assessment so we could have added the extra points in, so everything was covered and understood sooner on.

4th MARCH 2021 – BUCS Field testing – 1 Hour

5th MARCH 2021 – Team Programme – 2 Hours

4 week programme Lacrosse – This was the 4-week training programme that was created specifically to what the captain though the team needed to improve on. This included increase core stability, proprioception, flexibility and eccentric hamstring strength which are shown in the link to the training programme. We researched the most appropriate exercises and sets and reps for the programme whihc will match aims of the programme too.

11th MARCH 2020 – CLINIC – 7 hours

This was my first session back after Christmas and the most recent lockdown. I was nervous to go back as I hadn’t been in clinic since 3rd December 2020, but I was excited to be back and get back to the routine. My first hour was shadowing a therapist. He had a client was a 20-year-old female with complains of back pain around her trapezius, rhomboids and her scapula. She was a returning patient, so the therapist got right into the treatment. To begin with, he massaged her upper body – left and right side around the scapula. This was to reduce the tightness and stiffness of the surrounding area. He performed effleurage and petrissage on the client. After this we had a discussion on how we can move forward in the appointment. We asked the client to perform cervical and thoracic movements. This is to the understand the range of movement and the difference between the left (painful side) and the right side. She explained when she performs certain movements, she gets pins and needles in two fingers in the right hand.

We then turned her into supine, and she performed cervical movements. We asked her to push her head to the bed and perform pulse actions this is to allow just cervical movements and to decrease stiffness in the area. This was to also to understand where the pain radiates too. She explained it went down to and around the scapula. This resulted us moving onto thoracic spine mobilisations. The therapist executed the mobilisations by finding C7 then working his way down. T3 and T4 were the most painful. This helped as the patient’s thoracic movements were better after and she said there was less pain when performing them. Moving on, we decided to move onto unilateral PA manipulations for costovertebral. This was acted on the section under the rhomboid and to the right of the inferior angle. This was performed in intervals for a 10-15-minute period. Once this was completed, we performed the range of movements again to see any difference in comparison to the times before. This was concluded with giving her 3-4 thoracic and cervical exercises to do at home and to do some yoga to help with are breathing. We decided to book her in weekly for a massage and for mobilisations. I really enjoyed this session and I feel like I gained a lot from it and learnt a lot. My second hour was reflecting on the session and what I could have done better and what could the therapist and I do next time. This was also spent looking at literature and research to develop my knowledge and awareness around the injury and anatomical area.

Moving forward, I then had the chance to work with another therapist with their dissertation testing in the golf stimulator. Due to not using the stimulator before I shadowed then therapist and he asked me to take notes and help him when he needed it. This allowed me to understand what the stimulator does and made me think how I would use it for potential future golfers.

Afterwards, I had my first online triage back. This patient was 18-year-old female, rugby player. She explained she has always suffered from little niggles in her knees, during her last season (August 2019), during a tackle, she sustained a Grade 2 MCL Sprain (no surgery) and Laxity of her ACL. It begins to bruise quite significantly when it’s at her worst, but this is only every now and then. She has previously undergone physio attention. Before the virtual triage there is a privacy policy that needs to be accepted and the covid screening questions need to be asked. Red flags, contraindications and history of previous condition will allow me to gain an insight to the injury and client. The severity and irritability were both moderate. Afterwards, we tested AROM and only AROM due to this being a virtual appointment. Active Knee – Flexion – No pain, Extension – No pain, Internal Rot – No pain and External Rot – No pain. FROM in all movements, Nil Limitations. She performed functional movements such as squats, lunges, kneeling, standing single leg, hops and jumps. No specials tests were completed due to it being remote. My clinical impression was strengthening the specific muscles to improve lower limb function. The plan for the next session which will be F2F sis to ask more questions and go into more depth about her social life and health. I will then clear the joints above and below – hip and knee. Then move onto passive and resisted ROM. I want to look at her gait and foot position which may be performed on the antigravity treadmill. Thus, to move onto isokentics, nord board and body composition analysis. Overall, I was very happy progress I have made in clinic today.

18th MARCH 2020 – CLINIC – 8 hours

Today at clinic I felt excited to be there and what I was going to learn a lot today.

25th March 2021 – CLINIC– 8 HOURS

25th March 2021 – BUCS SHADOW – 1 HOUR

Today I watched the Women’s Hockey virtual training session. They started with a good warm up. However, they predominantly covered the lower body but no upper body. They mainly did dynamic stretches no static ones; they need a bigger range. There were 3 therapists running this session. Each one led the warmup, the main section and the cool down. I believe that the therapist who was leading that certain section shouldn’t be participating because they are struggling to talk/explain and do the exercise at the same time. I think it is good they are showing the team that they are getting involved too however, for athletes who haven’t been to one before they may need clearer instructions. I think the demonstrations were good, but I feel the therapist leading that section needed to participate in the whole section. The therapists are struggling to partake and perform the exercises. They asked for injuries and an update from the team after during the main section this should have been before any exercise or activity should have started. They didn’t explain the aims for the session or what they were focussing open. Maybe this is what the captain wanted the therapists to create however, it would be nice for the team to know what they are doing and why. From what they explained it sounds like a very similar session to last week as he keeps referring to it. Which means there isn’t much variation resulting in the players getting bored.

The session seems to be focussed on the lower body in a superset format. They aren’t giving a regression and a progression for every exercise. I think the other 2 therapists should be praising the rest of the team to keep them motivated them will help the team push through the exercises and make them feel more confident in themselves. There is no reassurance throughout the workout. I think they should refer to keeping hydrating throughout to make sure the team members don’t become dehydrated. The therapist in the main section need to be more enthusiastic and more excited to be there. One of the therapists asked me about Varsity and went off topic and that has put the session off on a tangent. However, they used this as a ‘rest.’  The cool down was predominantly yoga poses which is good to see however, they only did 4 stretches/poses that were all lower body. Overall, this was a good session but without knowing the aims for session I cannot discuss whether this was appropriate for the objective. The coaching point were accurate however I think they points could have been more frequently advised throughout. It was really good to see they shared out the 3 sections equally.

25th March 2021 – BUCS Flexibility session – 1 HOUR

Therapist sat in – timer already in position. 3,2,1 so everyone in time

Rest times in consistent

Didn’t start on time – team to be more on time

29TH March 2021 – BUCS Core Session – 1 HOUR

5TH April 2021 – BUCS Leg session – 1 HOUR

8th April 2021 – BUCS SHADOW – 1 HOUR

Today I watched the Women’s Hockey virtual training session. They started with a good warm up. However, they predominantly covered the lower body but no upper body. They mainly did dynamic stretches no static ones; they need a bigger range. There were 3 therapists running this session. Each one led the warmup, the main section and the cool down. The therapists did not change the section they lead so they are not getting a feel for the other sections which could lead them to getting bored or not putting in enough effort as they are getting too comfortable as it won’t be challenging enough. The captain requested more glute, abduction and adduction this week which they are working on. However, one of the players wanted to do pyramid sets but the therapist didn’t know how to do this without sets. So, I explained this to him afterwards. He has done supersets again which are good but if the team only do these it must get very boring for them and the therapist. I think it is too repetitive to stay engaged. The other two therapists during the main set are just participating there is no encouragement or motivation. The breaks are inconsistent so there is no routine or regularity throughout the programme. Also, if they asked the members to angle their cameras properly, they could coach them and make sure the technique is correct. The therapists were talking halfway through as if they hadn’t discussed the plan for this session. The third therapist took a mini core session and the cool down which were good. Overall, the session could have been different to the rest to help the team engagement.

15TH APRIL 2021 – CLINIC – 9 HOURS

22ND APRIL 2021 – CLINIC – 9 HOURS

Cooper Gym session

No show for online triage

29TH APRIL 2021 – CLINIC – 9 HOURS

Tabb’s session – RC

Ankle Session

6th MAY 2021 – CLINIC – 9 HOURS

8TH MAY – BUCS HOCKEY VARSITY – 4.5 HOURS

13th MAY – CLINIC – 9 HOURS

14th MAY – BUCS MEN’S LAX VARSITY – 4 HOURS