Posterior Knee Pain

Monday 28th March 2022

Hours: 3

Patient presentations:

1. Volleyball player with suspected LAS
  2. Posterior knee pain

Reflection Focus

• Posterior knee pain

Reflection Model

• Gibbs Reflective Cycle 1988

What Happened?

• Patient presented with posterior knee pain and intermittent hamstring pain a few months after sustaining a knee injury.
  • Knee injury MOI = Trying to stand up for siting on the group with legs still crossed. Pt. reported they felt a pop/crack at the time and he has been having difficulty with his lower limb ever since.
  • ROM assessment could not provoke posterior knee pain.
  • +ve McMurray, +ve Ely, -ve Thessaly, -ve Apley,
  • Pt. presented with muscle guarding, particularly the hamstrings and quadriceps. Palpation revealed increased muscle tone of the hamstring on the affected side and PoP of the popliteal fossa.
  • Due to uncertainly with a diagnosis, I treated how the patient presented on the day. Stretching and strengthening exercises for hamstrings, quadriceps and calves were prescribed.

What were you thinking and feeling? 

• I found this case really complex as I was finding it difficult to reproduce the p that was the patients main complaint.
  • Equally, I am really not confident in my knowledge of posterior knee pathologies and/or injuries. Therefore, this situation highlighted I need to focus on this area.
  • The clinic supervisor assisted in this situation. They also confirmed that it wasn’t straight forward and could potentially be a number of things rather than just one. On reflection this calmed me slightly and I felt less pressure to come up with a diagnosis.

Analysis and Evaluation

• As mentioned previously, this situation highlighted that I am weak in my knowledge and understanding of the posterior knee. Therefore, I need to ensure I include this into my revision.
  • I feel happy with the initial treatment provided and the patient was really pleased to have some exercises to do at home. Due to muscle guarding and identifying increased muscle tone, I felt it was best to address these muscles acting on the knee incase they were creating undesirable movement patterns – resulting in this patients pain. I would say this is the first instance I have been okay with not knowing or not suspecting x or y pathology/injury.
  • The patient has booked in to see me again in 3 weeks time. It would have been nice to see him sooner; however, an acute bout of stretching is likely to be less effective than chronic – especially for hamstrings. Page (2012) noted that 6-8 weeks of static stretching can increase hamstring length. Therefore, 3 weeks gives more time for us to assess if the stretching prescription has had, or is having, any meaningful impact.

Conclusion 

• Considering how overwhelmed I felt at the beginning of the assessment, I am pleased that I was able to focus on just treating the presentation rather than getting hung up on a diagnosis.
  • However, I need to look at posterior knee pathology/injury as this is something sorely lacking in my notes. I will spend time before the patient comes back into clinic researching to see if I find anything that may be of benefit for the patient.

Revisiting Reflection

References

• Page P. (2012). Current concepts in muscle stretching for exercise and rehabilitation. International journal of sports physical therapy7(1), 109–119.