STYC01 Clinical Reflection 15/11/18

On the 15thNovember I spent 30 minutes massaging my client’s quadriceps and hamstrings as they complained of achiness from exercise a few days before. For the rest of the session I discussed with the client the anatomy of the lower limb and then palpated them to identify where the structures were.

Reflective Summary 

Before I started the massage, I wiped down the bed to ensure the environment was as hygienic as possible and laid the couch roll down. I checked for any contraindications and then used the appropriate towelling technique to ensure client modesty. As I massaged the quadriceps first I got the client in a propine position and sat up so that they were comfortable on the massage bed. I placed a towel over the leg that I wasn’t massaging and started with effleurage to increase the local circulation. I then used petrissage (mainly kneading) to get deeper into the muscle tissue to release some of the tension. I used the tapotement technique of cupping to cover the whole area of the quadricep so both the medial and lateral sides were getting massaged as well as the front. Once I had done the other quad I asked the patient to lie in a supine position so that I was able to work on the hamstrings. I used effleurage, petrissage and tapotement on this area. For the second half of the session I wanted to recap on the muscles that I knew in the lower limb. I did this by trying to list as many muscles as a I could and then identify them on my client. This will help with my massage so I know which muscles are superficial or deep to each other.

Areas for further improvement 

To improve I think that I need to communicate more effectively with my client. This is because sometimes I am unsure if I am applying too much/too little pressure when massaging. It’s important to get the pressure right so that the massage is giving the client the appropriate benefits but is not leaving them in pain after. I also need to practice the other methods of tapotement such as beating and pounding so I can adapt the techniques to suit me, allowing them to be as effective as possible.

Things to Remember 

1. Check to make sure the bed is wiped down and clean before you begin the session
  2. Ensure you cover the full surface area of the muscle/muscles that you are massaging
  3. Check with the client if enough pressure is being applied