Soft Tissue Experience

Plymouth 10k- 7th October 2018 for 5 hours 

On the 7thOctober I spent 5 hours at the Plymouth 10k providing pre and post massages to the competitors. This allowed me to gain both confidence and experience.

Sports Massage Clinic- 29th October 2018 for 2 hours 

On the 29thOctober I spent 2 hours at the universities commercial clinic practicing the different massage techniques and revising the anatomy of the body.

Sports Massage Clinic- 8th November 2018 for 2 hour 

On the 8thNovember at Marjon Sport and Health Clinic I massaged a client for 1 hour focussing on the upper back and the gastrocnemii. For the second hour I received a massage allowing me to understand what the different techniques feel like and which ones are most effective for me

Sports Massage Clinic- 10am on 9th November 2018 for 1 hour 

On the 9thNovember I spent 1 hour massaging my client where they complained of a tingling feeling in the top, lateral side of the right leg. I then had to figure out what areas of the body would be affected/affecting it using my knowledge of anatomy.

Sports Massage Clinic- 12pm on 9th November 2018 for 1 hour 

In this session the client had a 1 hour consultation with me. They explained that they had tightness in their upper back and achy gastrocnemii from a run a few days prior to the massage.

Sports Massage Clinic- 15th November 2018 for 1 hour 

On the 15thNovember I spent 30 minutes massaging my client’s quadriceps and hamstrings as they complained of achiness from exercise a few days before. For the rest of the session I discussed with the client the anatomy of the lower limb and then palpated them to identify where the structures were.

Sports Massage Clinic- 16th November 2018 for 1 hour 

On the 16thof November I went to the clinic with another Sports Therapy student and practiced muscular energy techniques. This session was very helpful as it allowed us to revise what we had learnt earlier in the week.

Sports Massage Clinic- 20th November 2018 for 1 hour 

In this session I spent 45 minutes massaging my client and the remaining time palpating my patient, allowing me to test my knowledge on the anatomy of the lower limb.

Sports Massage Clinic- 23rd November 2018 for 1 hour 

On the 23rd November at Marjon Sport and Health Clinic I massaged a client for 40 minutes where they requested a full back massage. As I did it I considered the anatomy that was under the skin, both superficial and deep

Sports massage Clinic- 29th November 2018 for 1 hour 

This session was at Marjon Sport and Health clinic and lasted for 1 hour. The client complained of tightness in their upper traps and lower area of the back so this is where I focussed the treatment.

Sports massage Clinic- 30th November 2018 for 2 hours 

On the 30thNovember I massaged my client for 1 hour and then experienced a massage from them, while discussing the anatomy on the body. I massaged the clients quadricep muscles and spent 20 minutes on each leg

Sports Massage Clinic- 4th December 2018 for 1 hour 

In this 1 hour session I had 2 clients come along from the ladies’ football team who wanted a pre sports massage before there game. This led me to focus my treatment on the calf muscles, releasing tension.

Sports Massage Clinic- 5th December 2018 for 2 hours 

On the 5thDecember I massaged my clients whole back for 45 minutes, practicing all the massage techniques I have learnt over the past few weeks and what areas they are best to be used on. In the second hour a fellow sports therapist and I went through the bony points on the skeleton and then palpated them on each other.

Sports Massage Clinic- 10th December 2018 for 1 hour 

On the 10thDecember I treated one of the men from the first football team. In previous matches he had been aggravated by a pain on the medial side of his Achilles tendon. I was there to give him a post sports massage to release some of the tension in his muscles.

Sports Massage Clinic- 14th December 2018 for 1 hour

In our timetabled practical session, we learnt and practiced the differences between pre and post event massage.

Sports Massage Clinic- 11th January 2019 for 2 hours 

During this session one of my class mates and I spent time practicing rigid and k taping, understanding why and when to use them.

Sports Massage Clinic- 22nd January 2019 for 1 hour 

In the 1 hour session the main focus was to practice stretching techniques that we would have to perform in our soft tissue theory exam. This included both soft tissue release (STR) and muscular energy techniques (METs).

Sports Massage Clinic- 28th January 2019 for 1 hour 

As part of this 1 hour timetabled session we practiced filling out a patient consultation form (as you would have to for each new patient going to the clinic) and then applied specific treatment depending on the findings from the assessment. The treatment had to include massage and a stretching or taping technique.

Open Clinic- 4th February 2019 for 2 hours 

This was the first open clinic I participated in. I spent the first hour practicing filling out a consultation form and the following hour with a second-year student where I planned and performed a treatment.

Open Clinic- 11th February 2019 for 2 hours 

In this session, as part of open clinic, I performed treatments on two different clients: one plays in the men’s football C team and the other was a female who is in the BUCs volleyball team.

Open Clinic- 25th February 2019 for 2 hours

In this 2-hour session, as part of open clinic, I performed treatment on two different clients. We did not have very many appointments scheduled, so I paired up with another therapist where we treated together. For the first client the other therapist took the lead by completing the clinical consultation form and deciding an appropriate treatment. For the second client it was my turn to do this.

Formative Assessment (1)- 1st March 2019 for 1 hour 

In this 1-hour session, I conducted my first formative assessment on a second year who is a fellow sports therapist and studies at Marjon University.

Open Clinic- 9am on 4th March 2019 for 1 hour 

In the first hour of open clinic I massaged a member of the ladies’ football team who was complaining of tightness in both there left and right hamstrings

Open Clinic- 10am on 4th March 2019 for 1 hour 

In the second hour of open clinic I treated a client who had twisted their knee playing football a week ago.

Open Clinic- 9am on 11th March 2019 for 1 hour 

In the first hour of open clinic I massaged a member of the ladies’ football team who complained of tightness on the lateral side of there right leg.

Open Clinic- 10am on 11th March 2019 for 1 hour 

In this open clinic session, I had the same client as I did last week so I could continue with their treatment programme. They had twisted their knee 2 weeks ago and were still experiencing a sharp pain during knee flexion.

Sports Massage Clinic- 15th March 2019 for 1 hour

In this hour I treated a client who studies outdoor education and complained of lower back pain from climbing 3 days before.

Open Clinic- 9am on 21st March 2019 for 1 hour 

In this open clinic session, I continued to treat a client from previous weeks to get his left knee fully recovered before varsity.

Open Clinic- 10am on 21st March 2019 for 1 hour

In the second hour of open clinic I massaged a member of the varsity squad from the Men’s 5thfootball team who was complaining of lower back pain.

Sports Massage Clinic on 22nd March 2019 for 1 hour 

For this hour I treated a power lifter who complained of achiness in their groin area.

Tamar 10k- 24th March 2019 for 4 hours 

On the 24thMarch I performed pre and post event massage on runners who were participating in the Tamar Bridge 10k.

Open Clinic- 9am on 25th March 2019 for 1 hour 

In the first hour of open clinic I treated a client who had delayed onset muscles soreness (DOMs) from physical activity 3 days ago. They were out of the acute stages therefore I was able to treat using soft tissue massage.

Open Clinic- 10am on 25th March 2019 for 1 hour 

This week in open clinic, I had a client who was recovering from a football varsity match 3 days ago. He complained of tightness in his Quadriceps, Hamstrings and Calves.

Open Clinic- 9am on 1st April 2019 for 1 hour 

In my last open clinic session my client complained of a dull ache in the Quadricep muscles.

Open Clinic- 10am on 1st April 2019 for 1 hour 

In the second half of the open clinic session I treated a client who had postural issues, therefore experiences achiness in and around the shoulder area.

Formative Assessment (2)- 23rd April 2019 for 1 hour 

This was my second formative assessment which I had to complete in order to pass my clinical hours for soft tissue therapy. I got in contact with a second-year student who also does sports therapy, so they could assess my skills, knowledge and techniques.