BUCs Virtual Placement – 25th March 2021 for 2 hours

This was the first virtual training session with the mens hockey team and the second session with the women’s team. A similar programme was utilised for both genders where exercises could be progressed or regressed for each individual.

Reflective Summary

Before the sessions began, I had a meeting alongside the other placement students, to ensure everyone knew their role within the session. This increased my confidence as it generally means that the session will run smoothly. I do not want to look under prepared in front of the participants, as I know I have the knowledge to effectively deliver the sessions.

The trunk, which is located at the centre of the kinetic chain, is essential for coordination within sports performance and for preventing injuries (Imai, Kaneoka, Okubo, & Shiraki, 2014). Hockey requires trunk stability and strength, as it is necessary for segmental skills such as skating, shooting and weaving (Kokinda et al., 2018). This is why we included a ‘core finisher’ into the programme, so that stability and strength of the core could be gradually increased. Exercises which were specific to this component of fitness included up and down plank, dead bug, mountain climbers and shoulder taps. Those exercises that are performed in prone were essential to include as Okubo et al. (2010) found that the overall activity of the abdominal muscles was greater during the exercises that were performed in a prone position, either using elbow-toe or hand-knee combination for support, during the movements.

What Went Well

I coached the exercises well and encouraged the participants throughout the sessions. I also ensured that the players controlled the movement by counting the reps out loud for each exercise.

Areas for Improvement Action Plan
Before the session begins, ensure all the participants have their camera on so we can check their technique. Next time I lead a virtual training session, make sure all participants have cameras turned on.
If I am coaching the exercises, ask the other placement students to watch the players form and technique. Have a chat with the other placement students before the next virtual training and prompt them to watch technique.

Closing the Loop

Since completing these hours, we politely ask all of the players to put their cameras on at the start of the sessions and try to watch the participants technique and form, as much as possible.

References

Imai, A., Kaneoka, K., Okubo, Y., & Shiraki, H. (2014). Comparison of the immediate effect of different types of trunk exercise on the star excursion balance test in male adolescent soccer players. International journal of sports physical therapy, 9(4), 428-435.

Kokinda, M., Jesensky, M., Kandrac, R., Kicura, D., Turek, M., & Chovanova, E. (2018). Examination of age-related core stability and dynamic balance in hockey players. Sport Mont, 16(2), 21-26.

Okubo, Y., Kaneoka, K., Imai, A., Shiina, I., Tatsumura, M., Izumi, S., & Miyakawa, S. (2010). Electromyographic analysis of transversus abdominis and lumbar multifidus using wire electrodes during lumbar stabilization exercises. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy, 40(11), 743–749.