30/11/2020- 3.5 Hours

Today consisted of 2 clients; one at 3pm and the second at 5pm.

My first client was a follow up appointment from last week. To begin with, we started off with a STM on the lower back as my client reported tightness in their muscles. After the first 20 minutes, we then went into the gym to oversee their quality of exercises that was prescribed from last week (to notice if they were performing the exercises properly), I discovered that the client was having trouble/difficulty in doing some exercises causing them pain. So decided to change these exercises to better fit the client. I decided to change the exercises because the client still needed to improve their strength and prevent any pain occurring. We then went onto the treadmill to assess my clients gait whilst walking/jogging. I had noticed a biomechanical error however my supervisor discussed with both of us that if the error has always been there then maybe we may not need to adjust this as it can be categorised as ‘normal’ to the client and not causing any pain. During this appointment, I feel that the whole session ran smoothly, myself and my client felt comfortable and my client trusted me in giving her new exercises and being on the treadmill. What could have gone better is that I should have had more knowledge on Runners Cadence and assessing the running gait. With having this knowledge, I would have been able to answer any questions my client had for me rather than asking the questions to my supervisor. I am grateful that my supervisor was there in order to help with anything I needed.

My second client was a client passed over from another student therapist due to the client wanting an earlier appointment. Before the appointment I made sure I was caught up on previous treatment which the other therapist has prescribed and completed and then worked with this therapist to create a plan for this appointment. When this client arrived I asked questions to see if anything had change since the last appointment. A STM was performed on the clients hamstrings and calves as they were complaining of muscle tightness. After the massage, we went over to the rehabilitation section of the clinic and foam rolled the glute muscles, IT band and hamstrings as the client likes to do this at home. We then went through some muscle activation techniques to get their glutes activating and strengthened. We discussed the exercises together, and found that one of the exercises that was previously prescribed to them felt like they were working so we kept this exercise in the programme. We then added 3 more exercises (so a total of 4 exercises) to be performed at home. I found that it went a smooth as it could considering I had to be brought into the loop of the appointment however I feel like I stayed professional the whole time. Next time, I need to make sure that the time we were in the rehabilitation section was longer rather than spending so much time massaging as we could have gone through a productive exercise regime in the gym.