27/05/2021- 8 Hours

Today consisted of three different locations; Office in Newton Abbot, Shaldon Primary School then to Ashburton for Regional Training.

Office- Newton Abbot

Today consisted of discussing with the coaches about what we discussed on Tuesday and making a start on creating a new privacy policy for my treatments. I then sat with another coach who showed me how to use their computer system for creating leaflets and handouts for the parents with stretches and exercises. Saints have a particular standard when it comes to advertisement and they stick to the same colour scheme otherwise it can get confusing to the parents and general population.

Today in the office was a short day however very useful and exciting as it has allowed me to give my opinion and show that I am more than capable for the job role that is being offered to me once I have graduated.

Shaldon Primary

Today at Shaldon, I assisted coaching the year 1’s, doing mini matches due to it being the last day for there term session before they break up for May half term. We taught them new skills that gained them extra points to their final scores and gave certificates to the winners as well as to an athlete who has earned it by listening and joining in throughout the whole session. Near the end of the session I needed to take a year 2 student to their teacher as his sugar levels had dropped and he was starting to feel very “low”.

Ashburton Regional Training

There was only a few injuries to occur this evening at training. The first was an athlete complaining of knee pain. I checked his ROM and provided mobilisations in knee flexion as it was limited. I then sent over a rehab plan which would benefit this athlete which I had also created for another athlete Knee Rehabilitation Programme.

I then had a follow up appointment with an athlete who had ‘pulled’ his MCL a few weeks ago. He has made progress and seems to be getting his strength back in his knee. I applied K-Tape to give support and because he asked for it.

I then provided a dynamic warm up for the U15’s as their coach asked if I wanted to get involved and ensure that they are fully warm due to them having a game yesterday so needed that extra push to stretch today.

My last injury of the evening was someone who had slipped and banged his head on the floor. He was conscious and was able to talk to me. He was upset and so I calmed him down whilst talking to him and ensured him that he will be fine. His head was not bleeding and did not have a bump. I made sure he was not feeling dizzy or feeling sick and advised if h wanted to sit out for the rest of the training session then he can but he wanted to continue after he got a drink and calmed down from crying.

I then provided a cool down for the U14’s then the U15’s at the end of the session.

What Went Well

Today went really well as I felt like I got a lot done especially in the office with the coaches today. I was also able to give advise to the coaches as they are due to go hiking up the 3 biggest peaks in the UK on the weekend so I insisted that they warmed up prior to hiking and stretch in the car whilst they are travelling to each peak. They are completing this challenge within 24 hours so I’m sure they may need “treatment” when they come back!

Next Time

Due to being assistant coach during the day and pitch side in the evening, if I have no bookings prior to the training session and no injuries occur on the night then there really isn’t much I can do. Next time I would like to try to get more involved with maybe a team per week (alternate each day) and maybe take half the session to do more strength and agility work rather them doing S&C once every other week for just half an hour.