29/05/2021- 3 Hours

U15’s Vs Bristol Cup Final- Ashburton

Today the U15’s had a game against the same team the had played at the beginning of the week only this time it was a cup game.

This game was made up of two 40 minute halves rather than 4 20 minute quarters.

Throughout the whole game I was feeling nervous as it seemed to be a very physical game especially coming from the opposing team. They were definitely battling out to win this cup game.

During the warm up, a player felt a twinge in his knee. I checked his ROM and noticed there was very minimal swelling near the medial condyle of the knee. I applied K-Tape to ensure he felt comfortable to play the match.

After half time the coach from the other team asked if I could go over to their side to check on their goal keeper. He had dislocated his little finger. Due to not knowing how to treat dislocations, and knowing that I can not manipulate back into place I advised that he was taken to the closest A&E for them to do it there. I made sure that the athlete was feeling okay and advised that he kept hydrated as it was a hot day.

Near the end of the game a player was foaled then kicked in the head by another player. I waited and looked to see if it was safe for me to approach this athlete on the pitch, the referee also gave the all clear due to their being another incident elsewhere on the pitch which he needed to del with. I made sure the athlete was conscious (which he was), I then asked him to tell me roughly where he was kicked in the head so I could look and feel for any abnormalities or bleeding (neither was present). I helped the athlete off the pitch and further checked him over by checking his ROM.

This last injury was a little scary for me because from watching it happen I assumed the injury to be a lot worse than it actually was. The way he was laid on the floor I though that he was knocked on conscious. Luckily he was not and he was able to perform and answer all the questions I asked him.

Next time I need to be more confident, less scared and ensure that I am ready for anything to happen on the pitch whether its a cut on the knee or an on conscious player lying on the pitch.