CLINICAL REFLECTION – 12/2/19

Date Location Total Amount of Hours Overview of Session
12/2/19 Open clinic 2 Patient 1 had sprained their ACL and wanted an assessment of their knee. Massage of the quadriceps to reduce tension.

Patient 2 massage and NMT of back and neck.

Reflective Summary Areas for further Improvement plus action plan
Client had sprained their left ACL and had pain during extension of the knee. I tested their stance and noticed they hyper extend their left knee but had no swelling of the knee. Showed no signs of knee rotation (valgus or varus) during a squat and had no pain.

I massaged the left quadricep using effleurage, petrissage and tapotement to lengthen the muscle fibers and reduce tension and tightness to ease any pressure and pain.

Retested ROM and client said they had reduced pain during extension.

Second client complaining of tightness in neck and back due to poor posture when working. I could feel tightness in trapezius, rhomboids, levator scapulae and along the medial border of the scapula. Massaged the area and performed NMT on trigger points along the medial border of the scapula.

I need to make sure I always remember to place the bolster under the client’s knee to avoid hyper extending the knee. Read some articles on ACL and other knee injuries to gain more of an idea about treatment of these injuries.

On the next session if the client still has tightness in their back and shoulders I will use some stretching techniques (PIR, muscular energy techniques or RI) to lengthen the muscle fibers and improve flexibility and ROM.

Returning to reflections at a later date
I feel reading articles has helped broaden my knowledge about specific injuries and I will continue to do so.