CLINICAL REFLECTION – 4/2/19

Date Location Total Amount of Hours Overview of Session
4/2/19 Open clinic 2  

First open clinic session. 2 x 1 hour massage.

Reflective Summary Areas for further Improvement plus action plan
Client complaining of pain in upper fibers of the trapezius and along medial border of the scapula. Carried out a full assessment of the patient’s posture, palpations of the upper back and movements of the shoulder. The focus was on the pectoralis major, latissimus dorsi and trapezius.

The client has a decreased ROM of flexion and extension of the shoulder but full ROM in adduction and abduction of the shoulder. A decreased ROM was noticed in elevation of the scapula. I noticed the client was curving their shoulders and slightly arching their back forwards.

I performed massage to warm up the tissues and increase the blood flow to the area and the flexibility. I then used NMT to reduce pressure points. Retested ROM of flexion and extension of the shoulders and noticed an improvement.

I was not confident filling out the full form, so I asked for assistance to ensure I was doing this correctly. The help gave me a lot of confidence and I now feel I would be able to fill out one alone with a client.

For the second hour I completed a form alone with a client who had tight calves following a spinning class at the weekend. I tested ROM of the gastrocnemius and soleus and then performed massage on the calves. I used PIR to stretch both muscles (the gastrocnemius and the soleus) with the client as they did not have any pain, just tightness. I then re tested ROM and noticed an improvement.

Continue to practice using the forms with a variety of clients.

Client advised to stretch calf muscles at home daily to increase ROM and gradually return muscle fibres to their usual length.

Returning to reflections at a later date
I feel a lot more confident in completing the forms now and will continue to practice these alone.I will keep practicing MET and STM.