Placement- Women’s Rugby-Post game- 1 hour-20/11/19

During this session, I spent 1 hour in the sport and health clinic at Marjon after the women’s rugby game. This included 3 SCAT5 tests to ensure that the girls who got hit in the head during the game although played on as they showed no signs of concussion, were in fact not concussed. each of these players performed a perfect SCAT5 test matching their baselines which indicates no abnormalities and no signs or symptoms of concussion so after being signed off with the clinic supervisor and the records being kept in a safe place all three of these players will be able to continue training and gameplay as usual for the weeks to come.  The second part of this session was the assessment of the dislocated shoulder that had been relocated by the player herself as she continued to play on. it has been brought to my attention from other players that this is an injury that occurs a lot and as this is the first time I have heard it, I questioned the player and got some background history of her and how many times this has occurred. The player confirmed this is a recurring issue and that she has to do most games. Immediately it can be identified that this player has a chronic instability issue with her right shoulder and stability and proprioception work will need to be started with all three of us therapist to ensure that we can strengthen and support the shoulder by the surrounding muscles so the risk of this injury occurring can be reduced. The player was experiencing a sharp pain in the underneath of her shoulder (armpit area) as a result of relocating her shoulder herself which she does not usually experience so without any further tests or movements, I sent this patient to go and get it looked at by a doctor and return when she has been cleared for further treatment by a doctor as she could have trapped a nerve or muscle causing further pain and damage to the area.

Areas for improvement:

During this session I feel I handled everything correctly, I performed the SCAT5 tests exactly how I was taught and got the results we’d hoped for as well as getting a second opinion from the clinic supervisor to ensure I was not sending the players away with anything wrong with them. When it came to the shoulder injury I noticed that something was not quite right and referred them straight to go see a doctor before I performed any treatment, movements, tests, etc. which would prevent them and me form causing them any further injury as well as ensuring that the humerus had been correctly relocated into the glenoid socket. so for this hour, in particular, I do not feel as if there where any improvements to work on.