Placement- Marjon women’s rugby-03/02/2020- 1hr

During this session, I was in the Marjon sports and health clinic for one hour assessing the women’s rugby players before training as they have been having pain in their right shoulder for 3/52. Upon assessment and conversation of my findings with the clinic supervisor, we decided on an action plan to carry out before training sessions over the next few weeks to see if it would help to relieve painful symptoms. 

The client’s ROM presented main in most active, motions, not change in pain during passive movements and increased pain during resisted movements. Flexion, extension, horizontal abduction and adduction, rotation, abduction, adduction, internal rotation, and external rotation all caused an increase in pain during resisted movements, however, during active, only abduction and internal rotation caused pain. There was a restricted movement in the abduction and horizontal adduction.

The special tests that were positive were the Scarf test, empty can/full can, lift-off test and Hawkins-Kennedy test suggesting an issue/ injury with the rotator cuff. However, where the client was explaining there was pain, and the sensation of the pain that was being described sounded to be more towards the front and so I decided to see what the range of motion and feeling was when stretching out the pectoralis muscles. This caused the clients a slight increase in pain and after feeling better and more mobile. As a result of this session, we will be working with this client on a weekly basis before training and games to ensure they are doing the required exercises. This includes resistance bands to help strengthen the rotator cuff muscles and followed by MET stretching of the pec muscles and even massage of the upper chest to help relieve the tension that may be built up as a result of the sports that this client takes part in such as rugby and lacrosse. 

Areas for improvement:

During this session, I managed to provide some basic exercises using the resistance bands and performed the pec stretching correctly, however, I did not have extensive knowledge of other resistance band exercises that could be performed to develop the treatment of this client and therefore I had to ask for help. Many different stretches were demonstrated to me to help improve my knowledge and each was explained to help my understanding of how it worked. This not only helped me during this session but it turned a weakness into a strength and will allow me to provide more advanced treatment for future clients.