12/02/2020- Marjon womens Rugby- PreGame Clinic- 2 hrs

During this session, I spent 2 hours in the sports injury clinic at Marjon before a game. The first hour I provided pregame treatment to any players on the Marjon women’s rugby team that required it. The first player that needed treatment was for the taping of the shoulder. This player regularly comes in to get postural taping across the back from the shoulders for psychological reasons, they do this to remind them to use the correct posture and technique when going in for a tackle to help reduce the risk of sustaining an injury. The second player wanted taping of the knee for an MCL stabilization, using rigid taping, I put an anchor around the thigh just above the knee and the same around the calf just below the knee. I then started with 2 basic strands making a cross over the MCL on the medical side of the knee and added layers until the player felt comfortable. The final treatment of this session was ankle taping where I used a basket weave/ figure of 8 techniques to help provide stability and support to the player’s ankle to help with chronic ankle instability. I did this using rigid taping. 

The second hour of this session was spent restocking the team’s kit bag and ensuring all the emergency trauma kits were in the correct places for easy access in case of an emergency. This required going through a list of items that are required in the kit back, checking the condition of each object, and putting it into the kit bag, replacing any pieces of equipment that were needed.

Areas for improvement:

Before looking at the list of equipment for the kit bags, I was unaware of the amount of kit that was required in the kit bag. This helped me to realize what was missing and the reasoning behind each piece of equipment was explained to me by the clinic supervisor. This also allowed me to realize important pieces of equipment that my personal first aid kit and pitchside bag were missing that I can now restock before reusing them.