31/10/2020- DHSOBRFC Touch game- 2hrs

31/10/2020- DHSOBRFC Touch game- 2hrs

During this session, Plymouth Albion medical team provided treatment for the Devonport Highschool Oldboys Rugby Team for 2 hours, 1 hour beforehand for a warm-up and the second hour during the game where they played 14 minute quarters, changing the rugby ball every 10 minutes and sanitizing it ready to be used later on. After every 14 minutes, the team would change to allow a new mixture of 7 players on so the same people were constantly in contact with each other. These were just a few of the many different measures put in place to reduce the risk of covid spreading during the touch game.

Throughout this game, I dealt with 3 injuries, a hamstring tear, and two ankle sprains.

The immediate first aid treatment for these players was to get them off the pitch and supply ice to help reduce swelling and then added compression before sending them to the Cumberland center near the grounds to get their ankle checked to which they both had lateral ankle sprains.

What I learned during this session:

At the first instance of the players getting injured, neither of the players that ended up with sprained ankles wanted to receive treatment at first and when I asked them if they were okay and got them to the side of the pitch and offered ice they stated they didn’t need it but shortly after when the ankle began to swell they asked if they could have some ice to help “numb the pain”. It is important to know that people will not always take your help but you must always offer it.

For future sessions:

When I offer help in the future I will continue the way I did in this particular situation today. I offered my help at it was not needed, instead of asking someone again, I will wait until they come back and need to ask for assistance. I feel like I handled this situation perfectly and after a discussion with my supervisor, they agreed with how I handled it.