October

23/10/2020 3

This was my first face-to-face clinic session, so I was quite nervous about what it was going to be like. I had done a lot of revision over the summer of clinical assessments and common pathologies to prepare myself, but I was still feeling very nervous.

The first patient I saw was someone who has a grade 1 hamstring strain, and they were at the end stage of their rehabilitation wanting to return to football. For my first client, I think this was quite a nice and easy one to do. The patient is going to personal training sessions 3 times a week now, so I gave him some exercises to incorporate into his personal training sessions. For my first session in clinic, I felt quite confident. It was nice to start with an easy injury that required end stage rehabilitation exercises, as this was what I was most confident in. Following his session, I learnt how to write up notes correctly, and got advice and feedback from the clinic supervisors about the session. I then planned a next session for if he were to come in again.

After this, I had a patient who had very complex signs and symptoms, making it very hard to get a clinical impression. With the help of my supervisor, we found that it may be Achilles tenosynovitis, due to weak plantarflexion muscles and an over pronated foot. For this, I gave the patient eccentric calf exercises. This patient presenting with complex signs and symptoms made me feel quite anxious about my time in clinic. I felt as though I wasn’t as competent as I thought I was. Whilst I got through the session with the help of the clinic supervisor, I still felt like I needed to do better. So,  before next week I am going to do more work into common pathologies. Following this session, I wrote up the notes and then created a plan for the patients next session.